Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is Apple trying to outdo the Catholic Church?


I rolled my eyes this week as I heard the news that the Catholic Church is banning modern music at funerals but it got me thinking about how the powers that be try to control us. Not much of a leap to draw lines to Steve Jobs and his arbitrary Apple App Store "guidelines".

Is it wrong for an Archbishop or a CEO to lay out what is expected if you play in their yard? Probably not but as a sustainable business proposition - how far is too far? Is the Church just trying to maintain a level of what they deem as acceptable behavior within their walls? Scary hey cause isn't that what Steve is doing? I know it's boring but take the time to read the App Store Guidelines - they are so righteous it makes me squirm.

A funeral should not be a "celebration" of the deceased's life, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart said in the rules, but a final sacred farewell. "The wishes of the deceased, family and friends should be taken into account ... but in planning the liturgy, the celebrant should moderate any tendency to turn the funeral into a secular celebration of the life of the deceased," the guidelines state.

By now my eye roll had progressed to a full 360 and were getting ready for the next lap. I have no religious background except for Sunday School where my parents took advantage of the fact that the Sunday School bus pulled up outside our house and took 4 kids away for 3 hours on a Sunday morning. I'm sure there were a lot of "Oh God's" coming from our house after we left. So pardon my ignorance but isn't a funeral supposed to be a celebration of their life? Apparently not if you are Catholic and live in Melbourne, Australia. So that's your choice Catholic Victoria - boring funeral in the church of your beloved or use a funeral home.

So will the Apple developers (and users) move to the a new funeral home or are Apple and the Church just clearly laying out what the rules are in their yard? Lots of traffic this week on projected Android sales so it's clear there are plenty of funeral homes for us to go to. Personally I'm not an Apple fan girl anymore than I'm a church girl which is perhaps why I can draw these two together. I understand what both camps are trying to achieve here. There are certain types they don't want in but are those left enough to keep them going?





No comments:

Post a Comment